How do you ensure your Victorian or Georgian property is developed in a sympathetic way?

Wednesday 04 November, 2015

What do we recommend our customers do to help achieve the traditional period finish they want on their property?

1- Choose your architect wisely: 

If you are making structural alterations to your property the most important decision is picking your architect. Choose a company who specialise in historical properties or have a lot of experience in this area. Ask to see their portfolio- do you like what you see? Are there properties similar age to yours?

2- Choose your builder wisely:

Beware, anybody can call themselves a builder. Are you looking for a handyman or a specialist with skilled staff and connections to suitable suppliers? Again, ask to look at their portfolio. Do they specialise in working on period properties? If your property is listed, do they have experience and knowledge in this area? It might be that your architect can point you in the direction of a suitable builder.

3- Get in touch with specialist organisations: These organisations can offer advice from the legal aspects of the build to suppliers of sympathetic fixtures and fittings. 

The listed property owners club can be found at   and offers advice on legal areas, a list of suppliers and even boasts the Listed Property Show.

The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings can be found at   and has a wealth of online advice as well as a quarterly magazine for members.

The Historic Houses Association can be found at  and among many features, has a list of possible architects and interior design suppliers.

4- Get an idea of what your property might have originally looked like:

You probably won't want to create an exact reproduction - outside toilets and drafty windows are probably left in the Victorian era! Nevertheless, understanding the fashion and style of features such as fire places, skirting boards, coving etc can give an authentic feel to a property.

Reclaims yards are a great way to get ideas and gather pieces of the correct age to match your property.

Back to News Homepage